Chronic inflammation is the root cause of many serious illnesses. Joint pain, muscle pain, headaches, nervous tension...these are all forms of inflammation.
Dietary changes and herbal supplementation will help your body reduce inflammation. Try these tips:
1. Eliminate polyunsaturated oils, partially hydrogenated oils and foods that contain trans-fatty acids (read food labels to check for the presence of these oils).
2. Use extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil as the main fat in your diet. Use Olive oil cold and cook with coconut oil.
3. Increase vegetable consumption. Raw veggies are preferred. See posts "Nutritious & Delicious and Smoothie Recipes".
4. Increase your intake of omega-3 fatty acids found in oily, cold-water fish, flax seeds or oil, and walnuts.
5. Supplement with fish oils or cod liver oil
6. Drink lots of water. a person should make it their goal to consume their body weight in ounces of water each day. In example: A person who weighs 128lbs should drink 129 ounces of water (1 gallon) each day.
7. Use herbs to fight the pain and swelling of inflammation. Herbs take time to build up in the body and may need 6 to 8 weeks to achieve desired results. A list of helpful herbs follows:
• Turmeric (Curcuma longa): Turmeric is generally recommended for all inflammatory disorders, including arthritis, tendonitis, and auto immune conditions. Turmeric is also helpful in supporting memory function, promoting heart health and boosting your immune system
• Ginger aids digestion, reduces gas, relieves nausea, lowers cholesterol, and controls fever. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, ginger can relieve arthritis pain, cough, cold and other forms of bacterial, fungal and viral infections.
• Boswellia: The Constituents of Boswellia work in two different ways to reduce inflammation: Boswellic acids block white cell activity in damaged tissue, inhibiting the inflammatory response; and they also work to enhance blood flow to the joint region.
• These herbs can be taken in combination. Don't use turmeric if you have gallstones or bile duct dysfunction. Pregnant women shouldn't use it without their doctors' approval. In rare cases, extended use can cause stomach upset or heartburn.