Cleansing, also commonly referred to as detox is really nothing more than providing support for the body’s own natural healing process. It cleans out the body of all the garbage that has built up over the course of time.
What I love best about cleansing is the way I feel during and after my cleanses. I feel very energized, clear-headed, happier, and more vibrant.
I am more productive and some of my most creative work ideas come when I am cleansing.
A great bonus of cleansing is that my body sheds some of it's excess weight as it removes the toxins.
Why do a cleanse?
With our current lifestyle and the environment we live in, we are exposed to toxins on a rapidly increasing daily basis. These toxins show up as chemicals in our food, water, and air supply; they are pesticides, sprays, medications, birth control, artificial sweeteners, radiation, mercury found in tooth fillings.
How to cleanse?
I like to do a cleanse about 3-4 times per year. I usually do one in April, July, October, and January. My cleanses will last anywhere between 10-28 days.
Usually in the warmer months, my cleanses consist of green drink, smoothies, and green juices. When the weather is cooler, I’ll focus on warm broths, and light eating of salads, and sprouted legumes for extra protein.
You may be thinking, this sounds pretty cool, but what can it do for my body?
5 amazing benefits of cleansing
- Gives your digestive organs a chance to rest- this means improved energy, clarity, focus, and much better skin, and losing those 5 pounds you gained during the holidays!
- Gets the bowels moving-do you know if you aren’t pooping 2-3 times per day, that is actually considered constipation? Doesn’t that seem crazy? Most people I know don’t even go to the bathroom 1x per day- and they think that’s normal!)
- Stimulates the liver to flush our toxins- our liver has a huge job of filtering all the toxins that come into our bodies- and our liver needs a break-cleansing does this.
- Helps to improve circulation of the blood and the lymph system- this means effortless weight loss and less cellulite for us ladies too!
- Increases vitality and promotes longevity- there is plenty of research that clearly validates cultures that practice regular, seasonal cleansing live longer, experience less disease, have increased mental clarity, better brain function, and experience less body pain. After 7 years of having my own cleansing practice, I know this to be true. If you want to feel brighter, lighter, more energized, and sexy in that summer swimsuit- then a cleanse might be just the solution for you!
What can I do to cleanse my body?
This is a great question. It’s important to figure out what’s right for YOUR BODY. Different peoples’ bodies have varying needs based on where they’re at with their health goals.
I highly recommend that you find a Holistic Health practitioner you trust to help you customize your own program, and then venture out on your own once you are comfortable and understand the process.
That should not stop you from taking inspired action right now to eat a more cleansing diet. Here are some delicious, cleansing foods you can incorporate into your diet to get started right away.
That beautiful purple pigment in beets you see is called betacyanin. This is the pigment that makes your urine and stool red, so don’t be alarmed. Betacyanin is a very powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants fight free radicals in our bodies. Free radicals are little rogue monsters that cause accelerated aging. Betacyanin has also been shown to fight cancer.
Beets in general are great liver cleansers, aiding in treating liver problems, kidney stones, and stomach, intestinal disorders. Beets aid digestion, help the lymph system, and can combat anemia and general weakness.
Cilantro is an incredibly powerful detoxifier. It is well known for its ability to chelate (remove) heavy metals like cadmium, mercury, aluminum, and lead from the body. It’s also believed to cross the blood-brain barrier and remove heavy metals from the brain.
It’s a great natural digestive aid, helping to relieve indigestion, gas, and diarrhea. Did you know that coriander is the seed of cilantro?
A great way to naturally cleanse the body is to look for teas that contain coriander seed, and to add cilantro into a green blended drink with fresh grapefuit.
These are one of my favorite greens. I love putting them in my green blended drinks in the morning. They are anti-viral, help to promote digestion, encourage the growth of friendly bacteria, and dandelions alleviates gas.
Dandelions stabilize blood sugar, which is great when you’re cleansing, and relieve bloating associated with PMS.
Try drinking dandelion tea each morning and add dandelion greens into your green blended drinks or green smoothies.
As most of you know by now, I am a Holistic Health Practitioner. If you would like help with cleansing, illness prevention, boosting your immune system or if you are not feeling well and you don't want to go to the Dr., I may be able to help you. Call 308-254-5373 to schedule an appointment.